This article describes the Microsoft Office error 2738 solutions. It was found that many users were having trouble repairing or installing office programs on their Windows and Mac computers. The major issues are due to the Office365 licensing, Windows updates, insufficient system resources like disk space, internet connectivity, etc. So, this article gives the solution for different types of office issues related to error code 2738.
Microsoft Office Error Code 2738 Returns Following Error Messages
- Something went wrong Error code 2738 Go online for additional support.
- Office is Busy, there is a problem starting the Office program Installation.
- We are sorry, but we are unable to start your office program.
- Sorry office program installation can’t continue because no compatible office products are detected.
- We are sorry, but we can’t verify the signature of office files required to install your office product.
- Internet connection needed for Office error code 2738.
- Background office installation ran into a problem.
Something went wrong Error 2738 Go online for additional help.
When trying to start an Office program application, you will get this error issue stating “Something went wrong“. When the operating system is unable to add or remove the office products that you are requesting, It requests you to verify the file signature that is required to install the office product. Usually, the error 2738 series depends on the cause of the issue.
Office program is Busy, there is a problem starting the Office Installation
The error “Office is Busy” appears when you try to open any office program like word ,excel PowerPoint etc, the office program already in progress .it gives a message “we are either updating or helping you or remove some office programs
We are sorry, but we are unable to start your office program.
“We are sorry, but we are unable to start a program” is a common error in a windows operating system that occurs due to failed services of an office program. If there are Windows Installer services found that are not working, then you cannot install an Office product.
Sorry, we ran into a problem in office installation Error code 2738.
Windows will show a message stating that your computer ran into a problem and needs to restart. A Microsoft Windows Operating system is released in two different types of versions depending on the hardware architecture such as 32 and 64. It is required to install the same versions of the office suitable for the Windows Operating systems. In case of any mismatch between the versions selected, you can see this error message that says no compatible Microsoft office products are detected.
We are sorry, but we can’t verify the signature of files required to install your office product.
A Microsoft Office product is available in various types like a disc or a click to run. In the case of a disc failure, you might see this: We are Sorry, But We Can’t Verify the Signature error message which says signatures of files required for installing the office product.
Internet connection is needed to fix Office installation error code 2738.
While you perform the online repair for your office product this error message may occur due to internet connection. You can do a quick offline repair. Also, Installation of Microsoft Office programs requires an internet connection depending on the version.
The latest Office 365 suite comes with a click to run version which is a small file when you click on it, that would start the installation by downloading all the required files for the office program. In the case of an internet connection or some connectivity failures, you end up seeing this error code 2738.
Background Installation ran into a problem.
Background Installation Ran into a Problem generally occurs when your Office program related files are corrupted. It is required to repair our Office program. In addition, we need to check for malware or virus-related issues on your PC.
Unable to start Office program.
This message explains that the Microsoft office program has been stopped by our Windows and unable to start the office programs. The computer must be scanned using Windows system file scan process. It shows that Office program related files are missing from office folders. It has happened recently with any of your clean-up programs, a system restore could help you to fix the same.
Analyze Your Computer to Fix Error Code 2738
There are few ironically shows Office error code 2738 which is required an immediate action. There will be a log for every action on your computer which records all the events. It is termed as an Event viewer. This is the Windows Inbuilt office installation programs under system tools, it gives all the information for the problem causing keys.
This could cause due to the failure with your Windows related services and the executable office file is unable to read the required files when you try installing Office. There may be issues with the start-up of office programs which can be checked under System Configuration.
Such pending updates are most important for any Windows Software while facing a software issue with other programs.
Malicious Software removal:-
Malware a malicious software which is not signed by Microsoft or intended to steal any user data are problem creating programs. They should be removed from a computer and Windows defender or any authorized third party programs provides to disinfect your computer from malware infections. They provide robust security features to safeguard your computer from hackers.
Disk cleanup is a procedure to delete the temporary files, junk files, from a specific drive. It involves deletion of setup Log files which were remaining after the installation of Windows Operating system, downloaded program files, temporary internet files, offline pages, system queued and archived windows error logs, delivery optimization files, recycle bin and thumbnails. This program calculates the space that can be cleared from your computer and will queue them up for deletion with the user selection.
Watch the video for disc-cleanup tutorial
Perform system office file scan.
To Run system files scan in your windows operating system
1.First, Open command prompt (CMD) in admin mode
2. Run the command SFC/SCANNOW
If you see any file still missing after the scan then move to the Event viewer to check what has occurred the office error 30088-26. Watch video to know how to perform SFC SCAN to fix office program error code 2738
How to use Event viewer to check office error code logs?
1.Click on a start button
- 2.Enter “RUN” and open the Run command prompt
- 3.Enter “EVENT VIEWER” and press enter key to open Event Viewer logs
- 4.Double click on “windows logs” from the left-side panel and choose “application”.
- 5.Now you can see many logs in the middle panel
- 6.Filter the logs to find office program related issues and warnings by selecting Filter current log option from the Right-side panel. Find any critical, error code logs the caused code 2738.
If you can’t find any reasons for this issue, then just take a chance to do a clean installation to save time.
Steps To Fix the Error Code 2738
Sometimes the office program won’t install due to several reasons like internet connection, dependencies for the office product or any virus that affected your computer files etc. Then all you must do is a clean installation by removing traces of office program files from previous versions or by multiple office installation trails by you due to several errors.
Remove Temporary Files
Under normal conditions, these files are closed and deleted by Windows when you exit a Windows session. However, if you quit Windows in an irregular way (for example, restarting the computer or turning it off during an active Windows session) the files are not closed or deleted.
To remove temporary files, follow these steps
1.Press on windows start button + “R” to open the run command window
- Type “%temp%” and press on the enter button, this leads to a windows with temp files and folders
- Select all (CTRL+A) “Shift + Delete” to delete permanently
Error code 2738 Fix – by removing Office Program files in traces
In some cases, Office program installation may have stopped because of several reasons like slow internet. Then your machine creates some of the files required to the office 365/2010/2016/2021 product. When you try to re-install this time, You may see issues like these types of error code 2738 and different series based on the reason of failure.
You have to remove these Office traces from the computer before trying the re-installation process.
Repair/Uninstall office program
Applies To – Microsoft Office 2016, Office 2021 for business, Office 365 Admin, Office 365 Small Business Admin, Office 2013
The following steps describe how to uninstall Office 2016 or 2013 or 2021 products on a PC (laptop, desktop, or 2-in-1). For other versions of Microsoft Office, including Office 2016 for Mac, or older versions of Office, see the section, Uninstall Office for Mac, Office 2010, or Office 2007 below. Try uninstalling the Office program using the Control Panel first. If that doesn’t work use the easy fix tool or try uninstalling Microsoft Office manually.
For Windows 10 Windows 11
1.Go to control panel from start button
- Select Programs and features there to reach a list of installed office programs on your PC.
- From the list, search for Microsoft Office product and press on Change
- A windows will open like here showing Add, Repair, Remove options
- If they proceed with repair and wait for some time. Once the repair is successful you are ready to use Microsoft office product again
- To uninstall follow the first 4 steps from repairing process, and select to Remove or instead of repair
Installing Office Product to fix the Error 2738
Once you have done the uninstallation process, now do a clean installation.
1.Login to your Microsoft office account www.office.com/signin
- Go to your dashboard to see the office product you purchased
- Select “Installing Office “ option and then let it download (you may see press Save, Run, Setup, or Save File depends on browser type, select “save” for future purpose)
- Go to downloads in your computer and Double press on Microsoft office setup file to install
If the code 2738 still persists, then try an advanced registry fix if you have a problem with it
Windows Registry Fix
The registry in Windows is a console that shows the structure of your Windows Operating system and its internal office programs. The error codes inside the registry may change due to some unwanted office programs which use the same resources. To fix the error code 2738 in office 365/2010/2016 you need to delete the altered Office Registry keys or remove and re-create the keys with previous values. (HEX CODE or H-KEYS).
Note – Don’t do Registry changes if you are not aware of the structure, as it damages applications with one single change. Sometimes it damages your computer operating system too. Take support from Online experts regarding any type of issues in our computer. Chat with our technician to fix your computer issues Now!
Related issues to error code 2738 in Office 365, 2010/2013:
- 1 Microsoft Office Error Code 2738 Returns Following Error Messages
- 1.1 Something went wrong Error 2738 Go online for additional help.
- 1.2 Office program is Busy, there is a problem starting the Office Installation
- 1.3 We are sorry, but we are unable to start your office program.
- 1.4 Sorry, we ran into a problem in office installation Error code 2738.
- 1.5 We are sorry, but we can’t verify the signature of files required to install your office product.
- 1.6 Internet connection is needed to fix Office installation error code 2738.
- 1.7 Background Installation ran into a problem.
- 1.8 Unable to start Office program.
- 2 Analyze Your Computer to Fix Error Code 2738
- 3 How to use Event viewer to check office error code logs?
- 4 Steps To Fix the Error Code 2738